Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Healthy Snacking | Flapjack Bars

In preparation for my holiday, I've turned to a healthier way of eating and two weeks in I'm seeing great results. I'm not following a diet plan but it's making sure I eat unprocessed clean foods and load up on protein and veggies. One thing which has been difficult though is cutting out snacks. So I decided to experiment with different ingredients to make a healthier snack bar I can eat when I need a bit of a pick me up. These flapjack bars are super yummy and simple to make too!


 Ingredients
1 cup of dates (de-stoned)
1 1/2 cups of oats
1 cup of almonds
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of honey
1 banana
1tbsp of coconut oil



 First of all I blended up the dates in a food processor until they mould into a rolled up ball. I then blitzed the almonds in the same food processor and added the almonds and dates into a ball. Next I chopped up a banana and added this into the mixture along with the oats. I mixed this up together, breaking up the ball of dates with a spoon as I went. Whilst mixing, heat up the peanut butter, honey and coconut oil in a saucepan until it forms a runny consistency. Then slowly add the bowl of mixture into the pan stirring slowly to ensure all the mixture is covered evenly. I heated this up for a few minutes just to melt together the ingredients.
I then covered a square tin in greaseproof paper and poured the mixture in, ensuring it was evenly spread across the tin. Then popped it into the oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes. Then take it out of the oven and allow to cool for a good half hour. Finally I popped it in the freezer (yes freezer) to set the bars before chopping into equal pieces.
The bars are super yummy and can be kept in a freezer or fridge to keep fresh and tasty. I was a little unsure about the taste of the dates but if anything they make the bars sweet and help to hold the ingredients together. You could also add other fruits as opposed to bananas but bananas are one my favourites. Let me know if you give the recipe a go! Would love to see your feedback.
What are your favourite healthy snacks?

8 comments:

  1. Looks very healthy and delicious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These look amazing! I'm definitely going I give them a try!!

      www.lifestylefunxion.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. They look so delicious!

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be host, I like your blog very much! I think that you do a great job! I know that blog requires much time, but keep doing it!

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much goodness all baked into one of my favourite things. I will definitely be giving this recipe a try! x

    www.kirstytalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What type of dates did you use? xx

    ReplyDelete