Tuesday, 5 May 2015

My Caribbean Adventure | Part 2

 

So here is the second and last part of my Caribbean Adventure. It's amazing to see how many of you loved the first post, considering I've never posted anything like this before. Like I mentioned in my last post, I would love to get into more travel and lifestyle posts so maybe this will become a bigger part of my blog in the future. So the second part of my adventure on the Thomson Celebration led me to Antigua, Dominica and Barbados. All beautiful islands, yet all very different in their own ways.
 
Next stop was St Johns, Antigua. We literally parked in the middle of a harbour town surrounded by the strangest coloured patterned water. First stop was the beach, now Antiguans say there is a beach for every day of the year in Antigua, which when you're only there for one day can be a very tricky decision. Luckily, my parents had been before and were adamant they had to show me Valley Church beach. The journey was rocky, through little villages past road side stalls selling fresh coconuts and fruits, but pulling into the beach I was literally blown away.














The sand was beautiful and white sitting against the clearest, calmest blue sea I have ever come across. It was there and then I fell in love with this beach and Antigua itself. We spent most of the day here, sipping strawberry daiquiris from the beach hut and exploring the coastline on jet-skis. It rained, but even through the rain the sea was still crystal clear. I did eventually have to tear myself away from this beautiful beach back to the little town, where we explored the shops and market and picked up some souvenirs. A couple of locals who we passed thanked us for coming and wished us a safe journey, which was truly lovely. I mean you wouldn't get that in England! Antigua stole my heart and I know that one day I'll return to the beautiful Island, maybe to visit a beach a day!




 The next island stop was a place which was completely the opposite to Antigua. Roseau, Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic) is a lush, green mountainous island,  not a beach island. Our first visit was a view right over Roseau including the cricket ground and in the distance our ship. After this we explored the Botanical Gardens, including the most beautiful plants and wildlife but also a reminder of the destruction and damage that Hurricane David in 1979 left behind (luckily the bus was empty).







After this we headed to Trafalgar falls, two waterfalls, one cold and fresh while the other hot and volcanic, there were actually people bathing in the falls because they were that warm. Many steps later our next stop was the Emerald pools. In the middle of a lush green UNESCO site rainforest, sat a beautiful, shimmering pool, green because of the vegetation that canopies above it. We took a dip in the pool whilst the rain fell around us and it was lovely, even though a little bit on the cold side. On way back to the ship our guide showed us and taught us so much about the island and showed us  pineapple plants, mango and banana trees, coffee trees, cocoa plants and lemongrass.  I learnt that the islanders live off the food they grow and are known for their long and fulfilling lives, which follows my own ideology in believing that fresh unprocessed food is truly best. I was amazed by Dominica's natural beauty and could definitely live on this island with so many mangoes about!













The last stop of our journey and the place where we said our farewells was Bridgetown Barbados. Flying in the afternoon meant we could only spend a morning here but we made the most of the beautiful beach of Carlisle Bay. As it was Sunday, most shops and bars were shut so the best place to be was the beach anyway. The sand on Carlisle bay was just like talcum powder so soft, and further along the beach we had just missed the racehorses going for their dip in the warm Caribbean sea. Carlisle bay isn't just home to 6 shipwrecks but also marine life, including turtles! A really beautiful place, I'd definitely like to come back to and explore the city of Bridgetown some more.

After baking in the sun it was time to leave Barbados and say goodbye to the beautiful Caribbean and the Thomson Celebration. Hopefully it won't be long before we meet again!

4 comments:

  1. wow it looks like you had an amazing time! I went to Cuba a few years ago and the water was so clear you could see the fish swimming around you, it was unreal! x
    Emmys Blog | Primark Haul S/S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds amazing, such a good experience!

    Georgia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really loving all of your holiday photos on instagram, it looks like you had an amazing time and you're so tanned!! :) I'd love to go to the caribbean, it looks so dreamy.
    Love Holly x

    www.thehollydays4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so many great pictures! Everything looks absolutely beautiful x

    Jana // Life of Jana

    ReplyDelete